Re: Serial ATA (SATA) for Linux status report

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 09:55:30 EST

Justin Cormack wrote:
On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 23:36, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Andre Tomt wrote:

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 21:44, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Intel ICH5
----------
non-standard SATA port controls.

One question - with "including hotplug", does that mean some set hotplug
standard? Reason I'm asking is, we have a few servers from SuperMicro,
with a ICH5R S-ATA controller that claims it's supporting hotplug, but
hotplug is not in your ICH5-summary.

Alas, there is no hotplug support in the ICH5 or ICH5-R SATA hardware.

One could argue there is "coldplug" support in that hardware -- disable the entire interface, including any active devices, then re-enable and re-scan -- but it's a bit of a hack. If there's enough demand, I could write some code for that. It would involve something like

# /sbin/sata off
{ plug in or remove a device }
# /sbin/sata on

You really, really, really don't want to actually unplug a SATA drive while it's active, on ICH5 hardware.

How does it work on other hardware?

Just yank the cord :)

Jeff