Re: SMP Kernel 2.6.0-test11 doesn't boot on a Dell 410

From: John Stoffel
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 11:01:45 EST

Mathieu> I just tried the latest 2.6.0 (test11) on a Dell 410 (a
Mathieu> bi-PIII) and the SMP flavor of this kernel doesn't work at
Mathieu> all. The non-smp one works well (so I know it's not a case of
Mathieu> VT/VGA console missing).

It's also been hanging on my Dell Precision 610 MT box, dual 550Mhz
Xeon CPUs.

Mathieu> It dies (without any error message) after this:
Mathieu> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel

Same here.

Mathieu> I tried disabling APIC in the BIOS but it doesn't make any
Mathieu> difference...

I tried booting with noapic, but it didn't make any difference here.
I'm trying to boot using a bzImage kernel, if that makes any
difference.

John