Re: partially encrypted filesystem

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 11:11:14 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

Encryption does have a few extra problems, simply because of the intent.
In a compressed filesystem it is ok to say "this information tends to be
small and hard to compress, so let's not" (for example, metadata). While
in an encrypted filesystem you shouldn't skip the "hard" pieces..

Squashfs is I think the only Linux filesystem that does compress the metadata. I did this more as a technical challenge, but the extra compression is sometimes worthwhile, especially with filesystems with lots of small files. Normally, however, it probably isn't worth the effort.

Phillip

(Encrypted filesystems also have the key management issues, further
complicating the thing, but that complication tends to be at a higher
level).

Linus