Re: The x Bit Problem

From: Bob
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 02:51:16 EST

Grant Miner wrote:

An interesting thing I discovered is that Windows simply ignores the 'x' bit (I should say the Windows equivalent of the 'x' bit, called "traverse folder / execute file"), but there is a policy setting that overrides this attribute.

I know users get tripped up on this a lot in Unix, like when they don't understand why the webserver can't read their public_html directory. It might be a good option for Linux.

Windows doesn't just ignore it. When I move
files from win to linux all the x bits are turned
on so txt and bz2 and jpg files are marked
executable. That's annoying and a security
risk.

-Bob