Re: High-pitch noise with 2.6.0-test11

From: Troels Walsted Hansen
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 05:34:44 EST

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
I just installed 2.6.0-test11 on my Dell Latitude D600 (Pentium-M)
laptop and I noticed a strange high-pitch noise comming from the laptop
itself (that wasn't there with 2.4). The noise happens only when the CPU
is idle. Also, I have noticed that removing thermal.o makes the noise
stop, which is very odd. Is there anything that can be done about that?

I had the same problem with my Dell Latitude C600 and newer kernels with HZ>100. The solution I found was to add "apm=idle-threshold=100" to the kernel commandline, to disable APM idle calls.

You should monitor the temperature of your laptop to make sure it doesn't spin wildly and create extra heat if you use the same solution.

Using ACPI instead of APM might also be a solution?

Troels