Re: Fixes for nforce2 hard lockup, apic, io-apic, udma133 covered

From: Jesse Allen
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 15:47:58 EST

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 08:58:47PM +0100, Ian Kumlien wrote:
> > There are three parts to this email.
> > a) apic mods.
> > Lockups are due to too fast an apic acknowledge of apic timer int.
> > Apic hard locked up the system - no nmi debug available.
> > Fixed it by introducing a delay of at least 500ns into
> > smp_apic_timer_interrupt() just prior to ack_APIC_irq().
> > b) io-apic mods
> > So I have fixed it too (tested on both my epox and albatron MOBOs).
> > Firstly I found 8254 connected directly to pin 0 not pin 2 of io-apic.
> > I have modified check_timer() in io_apic.c to trial connect pin and
> > test for it after the existing test for connection to io-apic.

So do you think Ross has found the connection between all three issues? (Timer and NMI watchdog, IRQ 7, and CPU disconnect?)

I suppose we should now try these changes other the last two. From what he's saying, this will fix the lockup too. Hopefully the patch will be refined =). I probably won't be able to run this till tomorrow, and after I get it diffed for 2.6. I've barely got the cpu disconnect patch going today, but haven't tested it because I can only access my nforce2 machine remotely =). But from everything I'm hearing, the lockups are gone.

Jesse