Re: cdrecord hangs my computer

From: Bob
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 23:19:39 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 01:57:03PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On every PC I have that has an ide cd drive, I use
ide-scsi. I like the fact that scd0 is the cdrom drive.

And you liked the fact that you were supposed to write "dev=0,0,0" or
something strange like that? What a piece of crap it was.

Hey, that "piece of crap" has burned one heck of a lot of ISO images of
Linux over the years. How about a nod of thanks to the author before you
tell him you don't like his interface? And how about acknowledgement that
he made that "piece of crap" work on a lot of different Unix platforms?

Naming "1,0,0" won't work everywhere for me.

I started using a 3ware ide card because promise and siig sis
were crashing nforce2, so it's a unified concept ;-) to use
ide-scsi scsi-sg for hd's on 3ware and for cdr cdrw. I can rip from
cdr through pipes to yamaha cdrw, pre-emptive kernel, anticipatory
sched, use dma, devfs. The only quirk is naming "1,0,0" won't work
everywhere--

#/etc/default/cdrecord
CDR_DEVICE=ATAPI:/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
# ATAPI:1,0,0 won't work in CDR_DEVICE but below it does--
yamaha= ATAPI:1,0,0 -1 -1 ""

#/usr/src/linux/.config--
# ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
#
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y

# SCSI device support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y

#
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
#
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_REPORT_LUNS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS is not set