Re: High-pitch noise with 2.6.0-test11

From: Jean-Marc Valin
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 01:53:57 EST

> I'm afraid this is common prolem; most notebooks I sen do some kind of
> annoying noise under some circumstances. Therewas technical discussion
> about why that happens on ACPI list.

It seems like the noise frequency is directly related to the value of HZ
and HZ=1000 is especially annoying as the ear is very sensitive. I was
wondering how hard it would be to allow values of HZ in the range of
10-20 kHz? I have attempted to do so, but it seems like part of the code
is not ready for that. Even after setting the right SHIFT_HZ in timex.h,
setting HZ=10000 causes things like division by zero and negative
shifts. Is there a way to do it anyway?

Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin, M.Sc.A., ing. jr.