Re: Writing to NTFS and kernel 2.6-test11

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 18:20:55 EST

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 pprice@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have read that it is possible to change a file as long as it is the same
> size using write(2) and mmap(2). I don't seem to be able to make this
> work. I was wondering if someone has some code that will allow me to do
> this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Did you compile in read-write support?

What is the message in syslog when NTFS loads? If it is a module then type
"modprobe ntfs" to make sure it is loaded. If not a module or a module
and you have loaded it just type: dmesg | grep -i ntfs and please tell me
the output you get from that.

Also, note that writes to resident files are not permanent in the driver
in 2.6-test11 (i.e. small files about 500 bytes or so). They are never
written to disk. Bigger files >1kb are guaranteed to be written always.

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/