Re: Strange process hangs on 2.6.0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 21:13:28 EST

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, [iso-8859-2] ?ukasz Osipiuk wrote:

> I am getting strange process hangs on 2.6.0 (stable). The same problem
> also occurred on many of test kernels (all that i checked out).

Sounds like the bash bug that is long-time (and that is just a lot harder
to trigger on 2.4.x).

The problem is a timing issue in the bash pipeline setup, and if the
child reads from stdin runs before the parent has fully set up the
tty process group, the command will get stuck in stopped state.

Fedora core 1 is reported to have a fixed bash, so if you are RH-based,
the easiest fix should be to just upgrade to that.

> emacs draws himself in the terminal but is not responding.
> Only SIGKILL manages to terminate it.

SIGCONT will fix it, but yeah, it's not something you want happening.

Linus