Re: atapi cd reported twice in dmesg??

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 20:28:08 EST

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, xander vanwiggen wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm migrating to 2.6 after having used 2.0,2.2,2.4 for quite
> some years now.
> At a first glance, I read ide-scsi is dropped. Okay, no SCSI
> support at all for me then. I have one CD writer, and now it
> gets reported twice, which I don't understand. I have
> CONFIG_IDE,CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE,CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDSK,CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTIMODE,CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD
> set. dmesg reports: "hdc: PCRW804, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" first
> (ok), then "hdc: ATAPI 32X CDROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache,
> DMA". Prior to the second report, an error is generated:
> "end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0". Reading works fine,
> haven't tested writing yet (nor installed X, hence the omission
> of blank lines in this mail). Is this a RTFM problem...? Kindest
> regards, Xander.

I'm still running 2.4 on this box, with a combi drive as the primary
slave. That shows twice too, as

hdb: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

and then _many_ lines later is the second part

hdb: attached ide-scsi driver.
scsi1: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: RW/DVD GCC-4320B Rev: 1.01
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

So I guess all that's happening is that the two parts come together
when we give up ide-scsi. The error messages look as if the kernel is
trying to find any partitions, which isn't going to happen without media
- you should see how many error messages I get from an ATPAI ZIP drive
in 2.4 when I boot without media, but they're nothing to worry about.

HTH

Ken
--
I'm as free as a bird now, and this bird you cannot chain.