Re: Page aging broken in 2.6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 22:57:57 EST

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

> The current behaviour seems better from a theoretical point of view.

I disagree. It's at least not obvious.

> All
> we want to know is the reference pattern - whether it is one process
> referencing the page frequently or 100 processes referencing it
> infrequently shouldn't matter.

I agree that those two cases should be the same. And in fact, those two
cases _will_ be the same by my suggested change ("break out of
'page_referenced()' early")

However, you ignore the third case: a page that is frequently used by 100
processes.

Such a page behaves differently with the 'break early' behaviour, by
pinnong the page more tightly.

And I think that's the right behaviour. At least that's not "obviously
wrong".

It's not something to do in 2.6.x, but I disagree that it's clear-cut.

Linus