Re: Synaptics problems in -mm1

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 19:46:44 EST

On Saturday 27 December 2003 07:00 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Tomas Szepe <szepe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I think it ACPI PM timer if you have it activated - I am having
> > > problems with it myself but didn't have time to look closer.
> > > Could you try booting with clock=tsc or clock=pit and see if it
> > > fixes the touchpad.
> >
> > clock=tsc appears to fix the problem.
> > clock=pit no change.
>
> So we've established that it is an interaction between the input code,
> the ACPI PM time code and cpufreq, yes? That's a bit of a witches
> brew.
>
> Does anyone know what aspect of the ACPI PM timer behaviour could cause
> this?

>From my limited experience ACPI PM timer just gets the time wrong.
At least psmouse times out much quicker than 4 seconds when resetting
the touchpad which causes many problems.

Looking at the PM timer was on my TODO list ever since it was included
in -mm... I tried installing cpufreq handler to do the same adjustments
for loops_per_jiffy as in timer_pit but I was still getting pretty much
the same result - time goes too quickly.

Dmitry