2.6.0 IDE drive_cmd error=0x04 - results in heavy freeze

From: Florian Schuele
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 17:17:09 EST

Hi,

i have a problem with the final release of kernel 2.6.0.
After a few minutes running and having a little traffic
on my harddisk, i get the following errors in my messages
log:

kernel: hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady\
SeekComplete Error }

kernel: hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

I get a few of these messages and then my machine freezes.
Nothing works anymore. The only thing i can do is switching off the
machine or pressing the reset switch...

Since i installed my machine with a
2.4.20-gentoo-r6 kernel SMP (i686), the 2.4.20 runs
without any problems!

Now i have the two kernels installed. The 2.4.20 from above and the
2.6.0 (gentoo development-sources).

- This error occurs with both 2 IDE disks in my machine.
- "Use multi-mode by default" is enabled in both kernels.
- A "fsck.ext3 -f" on my root partition (hdc3) had no errors.
- A drive fitness test from IBM (hitachi) didnt report any errors.
- Distribution is gentoo 1.4

Thanks a lot for hints...

Florian Schuele