Re: Best Low-cost IDE RAID Solution For 2.6.x? (OT?)

From: Joel Jaeggli
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 18:49:22 EST

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Johannes Ruscheinski wrote:

> Also sprach Joel Jaeggli:
> > well if you currently have 1tb in 8 non-redundant drives then you using
> > 160GB disks... no?
> >
> > the biggest p-ata disks right now are ~320GB so you can do a ~1TB software
> > raid 5 stripe on a single 4 port ata controller such as a promise tx4000
> > using regular software raid rather than the promise raid. that would end
> > up being fairly inexpensive and buy you more protection.
>
> Fisrt of all: thanks for the advice Joel! Two questions: why not use the
> hardware raid capability of the Promise tx4000 and if we'd use software

on the low-end promise controllers (ie everything but the sx4000 and
sx6000) it's not hardware raid, it's the driver doing raid in this case
the promise fastrack driver. among other things their driver doesn't do
raid 5, just 0 1 or 0+1. so software raid does raid 5 and more.

to quote the config_blk_dev_ataraid:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID:
âSay Y or M if you have an IDE Raid controller and want linux
âto use its softwareraid feature. You must also select an
appropriate for your board low-level driver below.

âNote, that Linux does not use the Raid implementation in BIOS, and
âthe main purpose for this feature is to retain compatibility and
âdata integrity with other OS-es, using the same disk array. Linux
âhas its own Raid drivers, which you should use if you need better
âperformance.

I've also had two if the higher-end promise sx6000's and the suffering I
incurred making them work with the i2o drivers particularly when promise
revised the bioses on those cards means I can't recomend them for much.

> raid instead, what would be the CPU overhead?

The linux software raid layer is actually faster under most circumstances
the hardware raid controllers, doing raid5. but since the promise can't
actually do that (raid 5) anyway it's hard to compare them directly. the
3ware cards in my experience result in lower cpu utilization for i/o but
there hardware tops out at 80-145MB/s depending on model and we have
software raid subsystems that go faster than that at the expense of some
of the rather bountiful cpu we have in those boxes.