Re: 2.4.23 can run with HZ==0!

From: Frank van Maarseveen
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 10:52:45 EST

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:26:25AM -0500, Rob Love wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 07:52, Frank van Maarseveen wrote:
>
> > Can you give me an example?
>
> Sure, as this has already been done:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/variable-HZ/v2.4/

That looks more complete and its cleaner. When I needed the HZ patch I
deliberately didn't care about #ifdef __KERNEL__ in the header files. It
was a tmp hack anyway.

it doesn't contain the #if HZ==1000 fix in timer.c. I'm not sure if it
is that important and this one is broke since it fixes yet another HZ
value instead of all.

> As you see, that has a ton of fixups, primarily to ensure that
> user-space is always exported jiffies in terms of USER_HZ==100.

I missed a two or three cases. Hoever, no sign of the tenfold size increase
or any fixes inside SCSI ioctls or firewall rules (netfilter code I presume).

Arjan, are you sure?

--
Frank