network driver that uses skb destructor

From: Sirotkin, Alexander
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 12:01:53 EST

I would like to write a network driver that uses DMA and manages it's own memory.

The most common approach (in RX) seem to be to allocate the memory for DMA transfer using dev_alloc_skb(), get the HW DMA engine to transfer the packet into this skb buffer and later free it using dev_kfree_skb().

For various reasons (mainly to support legacy source code) I would like to allocate and free the buffer using my own functions. Theoretically, I could get away by using skb->destructor.

When I receive a packet I could allocate a zero length skb, point skb->data to my (already allocated) buffer which contains the packet and register the skb->destructor callback. Later, when this skb would be freed my destructor callback would be called and it would return the buffer to driver's pool.

It seems to me that it should work, but I'm a little bit cautions because I could not find a single network driver (in 2.4 kernel) that uses such an approach and I'm not extremely eager to be the first one to try.

Anybody tried to implement similar approach ?
Any thoughts why this would (or would not) work ?

Thanks a lot.

--
Alexander Sirotkin
SW Engineer