Re: Fw: LVM2 on Gentoo-Dual Opteron/Amd64 system troubles...

From: Christophe Saout
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 11:17:12 EST

Am Di, den 30.12.2003 schrieb Branko um 15:37:

> I have bothered support at Sistina with this, but received no answer yet
> (being christmas time etc), so I thought of posting it here also...

Yep, on vacation.

> Manual recommends using special script called lvmcreate_initdr to do initrd
> initialisations, but my lvm2 doesn't have that script. After many trials and
> errors i have made initrd which succeeds with LVM initialisation, but
> machine reboots just at the point when it should drop initrd environment and
> jump into root on LV.
> [...]
> -how does one make initrd with LVM ? I had to scavenge script from LVM1,
> without much success...

How does your initrd look like?

What boot loader do you use?

I wrote an initrd myself some time ago that works very well (for me).

It's only a simle x86 one, but I think the binaries could be replaced
with the opteron ones. I just copied the binaries from my own (also
Gentoo) system and stripped them.

You can find it here:
http://www.saout.de/misc/initrd-2.6.0-lvm2-athlon.gz
(there's also a small README in that directory)

gunzip it and
mount initrd-2.6.0-lvm2-athlon /mnt -o loop

Then you can go in there and replace the binaries (some libraries in
/lib, /bin and /sbin).

/bin/sh is a small shell called "ash" (which can also be emerged). udev
is used when no devfs is available.

You can try playing with that one until someone writes a script.

It doesn't contain a module loader so device-mapper and ext3 should be
compiled into the kernel.

You should create a directory called /initrd on your root volume and
pass root=/path/to/volume to the kernel (instead of the numeric
root=fe00), then the script will try to mount the root volume itself and
pivot_root to it which will work better because LVM2 uses dynamic
minors.

Good luck. :)