Re: Best Low-cost IDE RAID Solution For 2.6.x? (OT?)

From: Samuel Flory
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 16:01:34 EST

Wakko Warner wrote:
nice about bad sectors as most hardware raid controllers. On the other hand the md driver kicks the ass of nearly every raid controller I've tried.

Faster than the mylex extreme raid 2000? or one of the higher end adaptecs?

Even faster than HP/Compaq cciss hwraid setups, yes.

I've personally not had any experience with any hardware raid other than the
mylex DAC960 family.

I know a number of people that run their mylex cards in jbod mode and use software raid;-)

One thing that keeps me from using the linux raid sw is the fact it can't be
partitioned.

You're thinking of it the wrong way. You just create a bunch of partitions and make them into raid devices. You shouldn't be using the entire disk or you will break autodetection.

I thought about lvm/evms, but I'm unwilling to make an initrd to
set it up (mounting root). Unfortunately boot loaders don't seem to support
anything other than raid1. (Mostly lilo, but I'm not sure grub would do this
either)

Lilo deals well with raid 1 devices. I typical create a small raid 1 mirror as /boot. Just be sure to install your bootloader on to all drives. Newer versions of lilo will do the right thing if told to use /dev/mdwhatever.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.