Re: PATCH - ext2fs privacy (i.e. secure deletion) patch

From: the grugq
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 20:53:48 EST

But what happens when the 'setgid' bit is put on a directory? At least in 2.4 existing files do NOT get the group set, only files newly created. So unless someone feels that's a bug which needs immediate fixing, I can point to it as a model by which the feature could be practically implemented.

Implementing the privacy patch based on the suggestions put forward (chattr +s && mount options), i've hit something of a snag.

If a directory has "chattr +s" then whenever a directory entry is deleted, should the dirent contents be overwritten, or should only freed blocks be overwritten? It makes sense to me that the directory entry should be overwritten because it is inaccessible meta-data and exposes information about the file system. Since the user obviously wants the directory to be securely deleted, that could be construed as implying they want sensitive directory content securely deleted as well.

--gq