Re: [3C509] Fix sysfs leak.

From: Marc Zyngier
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 10:13:10 EST

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Dave,

Dave> The damned bus doesn't even exist. If this is a case that couldn't be
Dave> detected, I'd not be complaining, but this is just nonsense having
Dave> a driver claim that its found an EISA device, when there aren't even
Dave> any EISA slots on the board.

The driver doesn't claim to have found any device. It just registered
to the EISA framework, which you compiled in for a reason.

Unload the driver and the directory will go.

Dave> This happens long after bus initialisation should have already figured
Dave> out that the bus doesn't exist. Even if it was left this late, the
Dave> eisa registration code should be doing a 'oh, I've not even checked
Dave> if I have a bus yet, I'll do it now' before it starts doing completely
Dave> bogus things like checking for devices.

Sure. When EISA bus is hanging off the PCI bus, which haven't been
probed yet ? When the driver registers, the EISA framework may not
have a f*cking clue about where the EISA bus sits, or if it even
exists.

Dave> The way I see it, EISA bus support is completely horked right now.

Feel free to submit a patch. One that works for x86, Alpha, HPPA and
IP22, with EISA connected to PCI, GSC, GIO or CPU bus. It works nicely
enough for me on these platforms.

Regards,

M.
--
Places change, faces change. Life is so very strange.