Re: deactivate dm disks?

From: Kevin Corry
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 10:26:11 EST

Hi Wakko,

On Monday 15 March 2004 7:56 pm, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I was playing with evms (2.2 kernel 2.6.3 vanilla) and some reason, it
> grabbed my usb disk (sde) and won't let go of it. Is there any way I can
> make it let go of the disk? It grabbed sde1 and sde2 of the disk.

You can put entries in your /etc/evms.conf file to tell EVMS to ignore certain
disks (e.g. if you don't want it to examine sde). See the "legacy_devices"
section (for 2.4 kernels) and/or the "sysfs_devices" section (for 2.6
kernels).

> I tried the deactivate which just gave me an invalid argument. I really do
> not wish to reboot this machine just to remove the usb disk.

If you have the "dmsetup" tool, you can issue a "dmsetup remove_all" command
to deactivate all the DM devices. Just make sure all the DM devices are
unmounted, or it won't actually release the underlying disks. Dmsetup is part
of the device-mapper package, available at ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/dm/.

> I also noticed it wanted to grab my partitions on sda which were already
> mounted and couldn't grab them.

Again, you can add an "exclude" entry in your /etc/evms.conf if you want EVMS
to ignore sda. Otherwise, have a look at
http://evms.sf.net/install/kernel.html#bdclaim

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@xxxxxxxxxx