EHCI/BIOS issues.

From: Plaz McMan
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 18:14:29 EST

Hardware of interest:
EPoX EP-8RDA mobo, recent BIOS (last few months)
Misc. USB mass storage devices (dock iPod, Zip 250)
---
Kernel 2.6.4
---

With built-in support for EHCI and OHCI:
When booting the computer with USB storage devices attached, I end up
having no USB support from Linux. The BIOS detects the USB devices, so
my dmesg contains a line such as "Can't TakeOver USB!".

With only support for EHCI, USB doesn't work at all.

With built-in support for OHCI and modular support for EHCI, this is
fixed - I just modprobe ehci-hcd, and all is well (15 MB/s for my iPod -
slow hard drive, but too fast for USB 1.1).

So, is EHCI trying to grab USB before OHCI? Everything works fine if the
BIOS has no reason to take control of USB (e.g., USB disks).

The workaround is quite acceptable in my opinion, as performance is
ultimately not noticeably different.

Thanks,
-Brannon Klopfer