Re: idle Athlon with IOAPIC is 10C warmer since 2.6.3-bk1

From: Thomas Schlichter
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 16:28:09 EST

"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Thomas Schlichter wrote:
>
> > a few days ago I noticed that my Athlon 3000+ was relatively hot (49C)
> > although it was completely idle. At that time I was running 2.6.3-mm3 with
> > ACPI and IOAPIC-support enabled.
> >
> > As I tried 2.6.3, the idle temperature was at normal 39C. So I did do some
> > binary search with the -bk patches and found the patch that causes the high
> > idle temperature. It is ChangeSet@xxxxxx aka 8259-timer-ack-fix.patch.
>
> Interesting -- the patch removes a pair of unnecessary for your
> configuration PIC accesses when using an I/O APIC NMI watchdog. You have
> the NMI watchdog enabled, don't you?

No, I don't use the NMI watchdog...
So the optimization of removing these I/O accesses is bogus for my configuration. Btw. I don't know if I already mentioned it, but I use the VIA KT400 chipset. Maybe this is of interest...

The only way to cool down my CPU was to enable timer_ack.
I don't know how to help you, but of course I am willing to test patches... ;-)

Thomas