Re: Problem with jfs

From: Dave Kleikamp
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 09:14:18 EST

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 15:14, caszonyi@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> A gnome program crashed and created a file in my home directory which i
> cannot delete. ls says:
>
> sony@grinch -23:04:01- 0 jobs, ver 2.05b.0 7
> /~ $ ls
> ls: F?r? titlu 1.CRASHED: No such file or directory
> #pico05941#
> 1
> 1.b
> 1.fvwmrc

Probably what happened is that the file was created earlier, and now JFS
can't read it now. The default behavior for JFS recently changed from
using CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT for the iocharset, to doing no translation
(which is equivalent to iso8859-1).

> mount options for jfs (from /etc/fstab) are:
> /dev/hda6 / jfs defaults 1 1
>
> However in logs jfs says to mount with iocharset=utf8 to access the
> filename.
>
> My default NLS charset is iso8859-2.
>
> Why should i mount jfs with iocharset=utf8 ?

You should be able to mount it with iocharset=iso8859-2. The kernel
prints the utf8 message, since utf8 will allow you to access any
character. It doesn't know what charset was used to create the file
originally.

> Everytime i use such a buggy program i have to mount jfs with charset=utf8
> to delete that file ? For me this behaviour is silly.

If you intend to use iso8859-2 characters, you can always mount with
iocharset=iso8859-2. Otherwise, you shouldn't see any new files created
that jfs can't access.

Thanks,
Shaggy
--