Linux 2.4.25: USB problems ("device not accepting new address")

From: Johannes Resch
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 06:07:52 EST

Hello,

I've got the problem that the USB mouse device will cease responding after
some time. "dmesg" then shows:

usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 699
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-2, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)

Sometimes, doing a rmmod/insmod-cycle on "usb-uhci" and "hid" helps
re-enabling the USB device.

Googling turned up lots of similar problem reports (some dating back to
2.4.9) - but no solutions, as it seems to me.

I already tried various USB mouse devices (known to work flawlessly with
other OS), so I think a hardware problem is unlikely.

I've come over this problem on two computers (one with Via KT266, the
other one with Intel ICH3M chipset), with the only similarities
"USB-uhci" and "USB mouse device".
This problem is not new, I already experienced it since I started using
USB devices with linux (2.4.18?).

While it occurs maybe 1-2 times/month on the computer with VIA chipset, it
seems to happen much more frequently on the notebook with ICH3M (after a
few hours usage).

This problem happens regardless of USB support being compiled in
statically or as modules.

Attached is dmesg boot output and output of dmesg after doing rmmod/insmod
with no success.
The corresponding kernel .config is available at
"http://xor.at/files/kernel-2.4.25-config";.

best regards,
Johannes Resch