Re: ANYONE? Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel 2.4.x 2.6.x / Crash/Freeze

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 18:50:04 EST

On Sunday 21 March 2004 22:32, Richard Browning wrote:
> On Sunday 21 March 2004 03:33, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > In my experience, when Linux crashes, Windows works fine it is flaky
> > hardware. Has variously been overclocking, bad fans (CPU overheating),
> > bad RAM. You have to rule all that out first. Might need a BIOS update...
>
> Done all that. Changed motherboards, changed CPUs, changed RAM. Haven't
> changed graphics card, though. I don't know where else to get a
> Radeon9800Pro from on loan! I don't overclock either. I'm confident it's
> not the hardware.

But it must be SOMETHING, right?

Kernel compile is too broad. Can you try to narrow it down?
Does burnCPU trigger it? Several burnCPUs?
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null?
dd if=/dev/zero of=file bs=1M count=128?
network flood? (/me uses netcat and UDP)
Combination of above?

Then, you will be able to call for testing.
You can post your kernel version and .config
and ask folks who has identical hardware to try
to duplicate.
--
vda