Re: independence from ide master/slave

From: Pascal Maillard
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 14:46:52 EST

Hi,

thanks for your answers. I didn't know of UUIDs and user defined labels and
you're right, it is much more flexible. But, according to man fstab, it is
currently only supported by ext2 and xfs. What about the others?

One last note about the term "current hd" I used: I did not define it as the
hd where the root fs is located, but I said that it should be defined by the
kernel at startup. That is, it could be any disk. The default could have
been, for example, the root fs.

> perhaps you are thinking of the rather
> specialized case where a system has only one disk, and the root partition
> is on it.
Do you really think, that it is such a specialized case? I know that Linux is
used much more on servers than on desktop computers, but I suppose we all
hope that Linux' market share on desktops can grow further.

cö,
Pascal Maillard