Re: Synaptics touchpad + external mouse with Linux 2.6?

From: Joshua Kwan
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 21:43:00 EST

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:16:57 +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> I'm sorry to say it, but it's not possible. Well, it might be, but still
> the magic to recognize which device is sending the data would be rather
> crazy.

Forgive me if I'm being naive, but...

Why can't synaptics be transparent? Why can't it do all the stuff it
requires special userspace things for in kernel space?

I should think that mapping the scroll buttons to their normal PS/2
equivalents on a Synaptics touchpad is possible in kernel space.

A friend recently expressed his discontent with this condition when he
tried to plug in another mouse and use it while the Synaptics touchpad was
still present.

So, please enlighten me...

--
Joshua Kwan