RE: megaraid on opteron w/ 8G RAM

From: ttwillman
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 15:47:49 EST

I'm continuing the work on this system; Dan or I will try to get a serial
console hooked up soon (I'm working on system mostly remotely,
unfortunately).

What I've found so far:

it doesn't appear to be so much a problem with the megaraid driver
specifically; appears to be related more to the x86_64 code. I've found
that kernel 2.4.25 from kernel.org works fine *if* mem=8128 is passed;
which would appear to me to be an issue with pci memory allocation.
However RHEL3's 2.4.21-4ELsmp and 2.4.21-9.0.1ELsmp kernels do not work.
I've also applied MTRR patches and some minor other fixups to no avail so
far. I have not tried to apply ACPI/APIC patches yet to the RHEL kernels.

The driver stops after sending the first enquiry command to the card;
waits in a tight while loop polling for a response from the card with
interrupts disabled.

kernel.org ker