Re: ATARAID/FakeRAID/HPTRAID/PDCRAID as dm targets?

From: Wilfried Weissmann
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 16:06:57 EST

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
Wilfried Weissmann wrote:
Why not join my evms-plugin work? This has 4 advantages over the
"stand-alone binary" approach:

Well, I had something in mind which closely resembles the ataraid-detect
tool Thomas Horsten (Medley RAID) suggested.

http://lists.infowares.com/archive/medley/2004-February/000001.html

OK, I was even aiming for less: Write an ataraid-detect tool which outputs
the correct mapping for dmsetup. If I manage to write it generically
enough, it can be integrated into evms or used as a standalone program,
whatever you like.

Oh, well. My intention was to prevent that there is a set of new tools but instead to integrate what is required into an existing framework. And also to benefit from the system, like using the partition support that was already present in EVMS. Particulary this was the key factor in my decision for EVMS. Right now we have 3 places where partition (detection) code is located. Its in the kernel, its in EVMS and now there is also kpartx. Each implementation has its own features and goodies, but the problem is that they also have their own bugs. There is a wide set of partition types one wants to implement. So we end up in a point where we have dependencies on hardware and partition types. Like if you have hardware X you cannot use LDM and Solaris Slices but you can have BSD Disk Slices.

1. its all within evms
There is no need for additional tools required to setup the volume
(thinking about installers and initrd...).

The EVMS sample initrd is HUGE. (2.1 MB) I'm aiming for a initrd size of
less than 1/10 of that.

On the other hand this is not a big deal unless you do have embedded systems with tight hardware constraints. You can also strip evms a lot by removing unnecessary plugins. Installers can also have EVMS only on the installation media (unless your install source is on the RAID).

2. evms comes with partition handling.
Otherwise someone has to write another tool/library that does the
partition setup.

Well, kpartx is already written.

Right, but like I have already written above, I do not understand why one should not reuse existing code and therefor preventing code duplication.

3. it works for 2.6 and (patched) 2.4 kernels

Can't dispute that.

Support in both kernels enables one to make a smooth migration.

4. nice clickety-click user interface
Especially useful for lazy people like me. ;)

I prefer the "no user interface" approach. But then again, I'm biased.

Well, I have to admit that I am also biased. You can still use the command line evms binary for scripting of course.

[snip]

Apropos: If we do evms plugins then we might want to have the
possibility to detect if some ataraid module aleady has picked up the
disk. In this case we should not create a volume because of someone
might try to mount the same volume via the ataraid and evms devicefiles
which leads to filesystem corruption. I thought about makeing a /proc
ataraid entry that contains the claimed disks. I think this should be
supported by all ataraid modules if this is done so I am asking you:

That's one of the problems that made me look for a 2.6-only solution. This
way, you won't get the problems described above.

Not all features and supported hardware of the current ataraid code are going to be available in a matter of days (at least for my part). Indeed I am wondering if it might be desirable to use both implementations at a time during migration. This is why I was thinking about adding a config options that protects you from destroying data by error.

Regards,
Wilfried