Re: dentry bloat.

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 13:13:14 EST

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 08:35:55AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 9 May 2004, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 8 May 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > > 1: 5.04 % ( 5.04 % cum -- 2246)
> > > 2: 5.19 % ( 10.23 % cum -- 2312)
> >
> > Ok, risking to state the obvious - it was intentional to count "."s and
> > ".."s, wasn't it? Just this makes it a bit non-trivial to compare this
> > statistics with Andrew's.
>
> Ok, here's a version that doesn't count "." and "..". My numbers don't
> really change much for the kernel:
>
> and we've reached over 90% coverage with the 24-byte inline name.

I hacked up something and ran it on my webserver (which has something
like 200 shell accounts). My histogram peaked at 12 rather than 10 but
still hit 90% cumulative at 21 characters.

I suspect worst case is a large LAN fileserver with Samba shares and
whatnot, I suspect there are a large number of "A picture of my cute
puppy I took last summer.JPG" style filenames there. Anyone have stats
for such an FS?

--
Matt Mackall : http://www.selenic.com : Linux development and consulting