Re: 2.6.6-mm1

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 17:58:22 EST

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 03:47:06PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > So yeah, although it's a hack too it's
> > much much better than the junk that just went into Linus tree.
>
> Untrue. With the system-wide thing unprivileged local users can
> trivially DoS the database.

Well, that's your problem if you oracle. At least we don't get magic
groups.

> > Why btw do we have a staging tree if such sensitive patches go into
> > mainline without proper review after just one day?
>
> It was discussed on lkml, then later was dicussed extensively off-list
> and I lost track of how long it had been in -mm. Sorry.

Umm, the two patches appeared in -mm yesterday..

> > When did shm segments come into the play? I know we bolted hugetlb
> > support onto the back of the already horrible sysv shm interface, but
> > if people want additional interfaces ontop of that they should use
> > the proper mmap api.
>
> Rewriting Oracle isn't a practical alternative.

So we can rewrite the kernel but oracle can be fixed? I mean they
have thousands of programmers and can't fix they Database to use a sane
API? I'd even fix it up for them in an hour or two if they gave me the
sources..