Re: Kernel 2.6.6: Removing the last large file does not reset filesystem properties

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 10:33:30 EST

On Tue, 11 May 2004 09:00:33 EDT, John McGowan said:

> fsck does fix it. Or should the removal of the last large file have
> resulted in the change without the mismatch between the "largefile"
> property being set with no large files?

Then fsck should exit RC=1. At least the Fedora Core 2 initscripts think
that's OK and specifically check for that case (a few lines later it remounts /
r/w, which *should* refresh all the important in-core blocks that might have
gotten changed out from under it - I think. If that's not true, somebody squawk
so we can fix that assumption in the initscrips. ;)

> I know what's happening and how to patch the initscript to get an
> automatic reboot on exit code 2. Is that the proper way to handle it?

NO.

Consider - if you *do* scrog your filesystem, you'll get hung in a loop
of fsck/reboot/fsck/reboot/fsck/reboot. You really *do* want the system
to yell for help from a human at that point....