Re: Long boot delay with 2.6 on Tyan S2464 Dual Athlon

From: Bill Rugolsky Jr.
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 12:47:10 EST

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 01:01:07PM -0400, Len Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 10:35, Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> > When booting 2.6 on a Tyan S2464 dual Athlon, the kernel pauses
> > for about two minutes before the first boot message appears.
> > This does not occur with 2.4 kernels.
>
> $0.05 says it is related to SCSI

> BTW. you got the latest BIOS on this box?

Yes, 2.14 from the Tyan site, released a a few weeks ago.

> > Vendor: 3ware Model: Logical Disk 3 Rev: 1.2
> > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> > SCSI device sdd: 156301488 512-byte hdwr sectors (80026 MB)
> > SCSI device sdd: drive cache: write through
> > sdd:
> > Attached scsi disk sdd at scsi2, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
>
> if you slap an IDE drive on this box and disable the SCSI does the delay
> go away?

The box is all IDE; the above messages are from the 3ware controller,
which emulates a SCSI device.

There is nothing hanging on the on-board Adaptec SCSI controller.
The BIOS doesn't provide a setting to disable it, though I think
there is a jumper on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, I have to slap this box into production later today,
so I can't experiment much more. But we have a half-dozen of these
motherboards in the office running Solaris 8 or FC1, and those are
slated for eventual upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, so I'll try to take one
out of production for a bit of experimentation.

Thanks.

Bill Rugolsky