Re: [CHECKER] e2fsck writes out blocks out of order, causing rootdir to be corrupted (ext3, linux 2.4.19, e2fsprogs 1.34)

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 21:42:47 EST

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Junfeng Yang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We got a warning that the filesystem was in a inconsistent state when:
> 1. created a crashed disk image
> 2. ran fsck over the image and then crash fsck at certain point
> 3. re-ran fsck.

Question? Is fsck specified to be able to be crashed? I'm not
sure you could ever make a repair-tool that could do that unless
there was some "guaranteed to save device" on an independent power
source during the repair. Fsck can't commit partial fixes of some
stuff because it would leave the file-system in an unrecoverable
state. It needs to complete.

Judging by the number of Stanford people being copied, I would
guess that this is a troll-probe?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5557.45 BogoMips).