Re: problem with kernel 2.4.26 installation

From: Paolo Ornati
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 07:35:00 EST

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 23:07, you wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have got Dell server PowerEdge 2500 with dell installed RH 7.2 and
> 2.4.7-10 kernel (rpm installation).
> I wanted to upgrade it to 2.4.26 from source.
>
> So I have done like always:
> make mrproper,
> copied .config from 2.4.7 (did make menuconfig)
> make dep, clean, bzImage, modules, modules_install, install
>
> and I got:
> "
> bsetup.s: Assembler messages:
> bsetup.s:2503: Warning: indirect lcall without `*'
> Root device is (8, 8)
> Boot sector 512 bytes.
> Setup is 4768 bytes.
> System is 835 kB
> + '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
> + '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
> + exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.26 bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.26/System.map ''
> /etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 2

As far as I can tell this problem is related to your "/sbin/installkernel"
script... it finds LILO and so calls it, but the lilo configuration file
doesn't exist ;-)!

I think that "/sbin/installkernel" is doing the right thing (from its point
of view)...

Shortly: REMOVE LILO, if you don't use it why is it installed?

Another thing you can do is to change "/sbin/installkernel" to never call
LILO.

Bye

--
Paolo Ornati