Re: 2.6.6-mm2

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 19:51:57 EST

Chris Wright wrote:

* Andrew Morton (akpm@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

+hugetlb_shm_group-sysctl-gid-0-fix.patch

Don't make gid 0 special for hugetlb shm.

As Oracle has agreed on fixing their DB to use hugetlbfs could we
please stop doctoring around on this broken patch and revert it.

Once I'm convinced that kernel.org kernels will be able to run applications
which vendor kernels will run, sure.

What about something that's just simple and generic? This is similar to
Andrea's disable_cap_mlock patch and the disabling capabilities patch
that wli produced back in that thread. It would remove the hack, and
buy us some time to find better solutions. Downside of course (as all
of these have) is reduced security value.

I actually like the magic group better. This one means that _anyone_
can DoS the system. Why not just give Oracle its own LSM if this is
what you want to do (that way the nastiness is completely isolated)?

<shameless_plug> My patch (posted a couple hours ago) solves this one
cleanly </shameless_plug>

--And