Re: [RFC][DOC] writing IDE driver guidelines

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 12:57:20 EST

On Saturday 15 of May 2004 19:34, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 07:23:50PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > - do not believe in popular myth that driver code
> > can be of less quality than core kernel code
>
> chuckle :)

hehe :)

> > - don't copy without thinking ugly and bogus code
> > (there is still lot of such in IDE)
>
> Agreed, but I think most driver authors will not know what is ugly
> and bogus code, otherwise they would probably not copy it... (I hope!)

Some just copy _everything_ what is in other driver, really...

> > - host drivers should request/release IO resource
> > themelves and set hwif->mmio to 2
>
> Don't you mean, hwif->mmio==2 for MMIO hardware?

It is was historically for MMIO, now it means that driver
handles IO resource itself (per comment in <linux/ide.h>).

> > - ide_init_hwif_ports() is obsolete and dying,
> > define IDE_ARCH_NO_OBSOLETE_INIT in <asm/ide.h>
>
> hmmmm. Please consider reversing this:
>
> Make ide_init_hwif_ports() present _only_ if IDE_ARCH_OBSOLETE_INIT
> is defined.
>
> Then add that define for all arches that still use ide_init_hwif_ports().

Well, I started with this idea but it requires adding this define for far
too many archs. This is a problem especially for arm because we have to
either leave <asm-arm/arch-*/ide.h> or add #ifdef horror <asm-arm/ide.h>.

> > - define ide_default_irq(), ide_init_default_irq()
> > and ide_default_io_base() to (0)
>
> Maybe provide generic definitions, so that new arches don't even
> have to care about this?

Please explain.

Thanks,
Bartlomiej