Problem with CIFS

From: Daniel Paschka
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 05:09:01 EST

I was trying to use CIFS, but it failed to mount my samba shares whereas mounting a share of a Win2K PC worked.

I dowloaded and compiled the newest samba-server, but that didn't help either so I investigated a bit.

After googling if someone else was experiencing this problem I became a bit iritated because I only found a handful results, none helped to solve this problem in any way.

So I narrowed the problem down myself.

In fs/cifs/cifssmb.c around line 238 the cifs modul expects a 16 Byte GUID, where samba only send 14 bytes consisting of some random numbers followed by my workgroupname: WG.
So I to set my workgroupname to something longer with enabled me to mount my share.

I am not sure what the right behaviour is (must cifs accept shorter seqenzes or must samba send some dummy bytes to fill up to 16 Bytes), but I think it should be possible to mount shares in workgroups which names are shorter the 4 Bytes.

Help would be appreciated
Daniel