Re: SiI3112 Serial ATA Maxtor 6Y120M0 incorrect geometry detected

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 17:16:46 EST

Hi,

This was discussed to death on lkml.

To make long story short:
- BIOS CHS is _useless_ for IDE driver
- IDE driver returns different geometry for 2.[2,4,6].x kernels
- Andries removed ide-geometry.c in 2.5 but didn't HDIO_GETGEO ioctl
- BIOS CHS is available through EDD driver now
- this is a parted problem

I'm tired of this issue and this is what I'm going to do:
- remove CHS info from IDE printks and /proc/ide/
- add BLKGETSTART ioctl for getting partition's start sector
(this is the only legitimate use of HDIO_GETGEO currently)
- at least obsolete HDIO_GETGEO in IDE or even remove it (failing is
better than returning unexpected results)
- silence complainers :)

Bartlomiej