Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 11:03:44 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:

It's been ages since I've encountered a GPU which could do packed 24. I
think when people talk about "24 bit color", they're also thinking "32
bits per pixel". Besides, there's the alpha channel.

Nothing wrong with 32-bit color. What I meant, was to
prioritize 24-bit _or better_ - don't waste space on
16-bit or even less stuff.

Yeah. There may be some demand for 8-bit pseudocolor, but 16-bit truecolor seems a bit pointless.

However, if the host interface has some intelligence in it, then we could have pixels in the framebuffer ALWAYS 32 bits, but we can make them LOOK like 8 or 16 bit pixels to the host.

Well, in order to save memory and bandwidth, the data can be 24bpp, but
the software sees it 32bpp.

Or one could go the other way - if we use 32 bits, then
consider 10 bits per color. I've always wondered about the purpose
of a 8-bit alpha channel. what exactly is supposed to show
in "transparent" places? Transparency makes sense when talking about windows - you see the underlying window through a transparent spot.
But this is the frame buffer we're talking about - what is
supposed to be behind that? Another frame buffer?

When compositing images, it's important to know "how much pixel" has been painted already. If the screen's blank and all pixels therefore are completely transparent, and you draw something with antialised edges, you want to keep track of the fact that the edges are "not all there" so that if another triangle gets drawn that abuts the first one, they merge together perfectly.