Unbacked shared memory not included in ELF core dump

From: Jochen Suckfuell
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 12:07:07 EST

Hi!

Since 2.6.10, unbacked shared memory allocated via shmget is not
included in core dumps. The relevant patch has been done to binfmt_elf.c
after the discussion to "include all vmas with unbacked pages in ELF
core dumps", here:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.2/1890.html

The result was:

static int maydump(struct vm_area_struct *vma)
{
/* Do not dump I/O mapped devices, shared memory, or special mappings */
if (vma->vm_flags & (VM_IO | VM_SHARED | VM_RESERVED))
return 0;

I consider this a bug, since we clearly lose unbacked shared memory in
the process.

bye
Jochen Suckfüll