SVGATextMode on 2.6.11

From: Alan Curry
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 17:49:32 EST

With 2.6.11, I can no longer change the cursor with SVGATextMode. Previously,
a block cursor could be selected by
echo Cursor 0-31 >> /etc/TextConfig ; SVGATextMode
and the cursor would be a block. On all consoles. Forever.

To accomplish the same thing using the softcursor escape sequences, I must:
1. at boot, echo '^[[?8c' to each of /dev/tty1 through /dev/tty63.
2. hack terminfo to contain ^[[?8c in place of ^[[?0c
3. install the hacked terminfo on all other machines that I will log into
remotely

This still isn't quite right: the reset sequence ^[c destroys the block
cursor because the underline cursor is still the default. An SVGATextMode
block cursor isn't affected by ^[c -- it truly *becomes* the default, rather
than being an option that is lost on reset. That's why I've always used
SVGATextMode to set the cursor: I don't ever want to see an underline cursor
anywhere, regardless of what terminfo says and /usr/bin/reset does.

Was SVGATextMode's cursor-setting ability removed as a result of an
intentional change, or might it get fixed? Or might CUR_DEFAULT become
tunable? Maybe another control sequence could make the current cursor
settings the default, like setterm -store does for foreground and background
colors.

On another note, the resize function of SVGATextMode has been affected
strangely too. Sometimes, when resizing the screen to a mode larger than
80x25, the video settings come out correctly but the terminal only uses the
first 25 lines, with the bottom of the screen being blank. This one is hard
to reproduce. I can reproduce it by doing a full boot (which includes an
SVGATextMode call from /etc/rcS.d/S60svgatextmode) followed by a manual
SVGATextMode on tty2. The first one works, and the second one screws up the
terminal size. When I try to reproduce that series of events without the call
from /etc/rcS.d, the problem doesn't show up.

In any case, when that problem _does_ show up, it can be fixed by immediately
running the same command again, on the same tty where it just screwed up. And
it never fails twice without an intervening reboot.