Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 04:36:30 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 03:38:22AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

The pertinent question for a point release (2.6.X.Y) would simply be "does a 2.6.11 user really need this fix?"

"need this fix bad enough now, or can it wait until 2.6.12?"

Like I previously said, I think we're doing a great job. The current
-mm staging area could use some more testers to help weed out the real
issues, and we could do "real" releases a bit faster than every 2 months
or so. But other than that, we have adapted over the years to handle
this extremely high rate of change in a pretty sane manner.

I think Linus's "even/odd" proposal is an admission that 2.6.X releases need some important fixes after it hits kernel.org.

I agree.

Otherwise 2.6.X is simply a constantly indeterminent state.

Heh, true, but all software is in that state :)

We need to serve users, not just make life easier for kernel developers ;-)

Damm those pesky users. Without them our life would be so much
easier...

hehe :)

I do honestly worry that sometimes we lose sight of what best serves our users.

We need to not only produce a useful kernel, but also package it in a way that is useful to the direct consumers of the kernel: distros [large and small] and power users.

What do those direct consumers really want? What best serves them?

Jeff