Re: 2.6.11-rc4-mm1: something is wrong with swsusp powerdown

From: Jindrich Makovicka
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 07:50:07 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
(Please do reply-to-all)

Jindrich Makovicka <makovick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

In `subj` kernel, machine no longer powers down at the end of
swsusp. 2.6.11-rc5-pavel works ok, as does 2.6.11-bk.

For me, power down stopped working since the introduction of softlockup detection. After disabling CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP, powerdown works fine.

Could you send the output which CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP generates?

I had one CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP failure with suspend, on SMP. The
machine was stuck somewhere under mce_work_fn(). Perhaps in the
smp_call_function(). It only happened the once.

Strange enough, softlockup produces no additional output. Kernel just prints "acpi_power_off called" and freezes. Without softlockup detection compiled in it turns off normally.

First I was under impression that this is caused by acpi_power_off-bug-fix.patch mentioned above, but unfortunately removing it didn't actually solve the problem. Later I found I missed that softlockup detection sneaked in turned on by default, and disabling it made power off work again.

Power down via APM produced some softlockup output, but I am not sure if APM actually worked on my machine before - I just tried APM if it works when ACPI doesn't, and didn't bother taking a snapshot. I can recompile an APM kernel with softlockup enabled and disabled and test it, if it could help.

--
Jindrich Makovicka