Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: intel 8x0 went silent in 2.6.11

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 00:01:29 EST

(I hope you don't mind me re-adding LKML because this illustrates an
important point)

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 14:15 -0500, Mark Canter wrote:
> Seems like the Q/A process is kind of borked if the below tests are known
> but don't get applied before it gets released into the wild.

We will never be able to get 100% of these before they get out the door,
because the ALSA developers can't test on every possible hardware. And
the group of users who test ALSA CVS and ALSA releases before they go in
the kernel is small.

That being said, you are 100% right. It is widely acknowledged that the
release candidate process is broken. The solution is to fix the release
candidate process, so more people try the -rcs. This is the only way to
catch bugs like this before they get out. Please see the "release
numbering" thread for some proposed solutions.

Lee