auditing subsystem

From: Russell Miller
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 01:18:36 EST

I've been doing a lot of research on this, and I keep coming up with things
that don't work, have been abandoned, or are almost impossible to find or get
working. So I'll ask here. Maybe one of the ultra-elightened linux gods
will have a ready answer.

I want to be able to audit system calls - I want to log when files are opened,
created, changed, deleted, etc. Preferably I would like to do it without
having to apply kernel patches, using vanilla (or close to vanilla) kernel.
If this isn't possible, my net preference is to use a module. If this isn't
possible, well, I'll do what I have to.

I notice there is a CONFIG_AUDIT option. Is this what I am looking for, and
how do I use it? /dev/audit seems not to work...

Thanks. If you can even point me a suitable FM to R, I'd be content.

--Russell

--

Russell Miller - rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Agoura, CA