Re: Vanilla kernel >=2.4.28-rc2 incompatibility with ADSL modem DlinkDSL-G300+

From: Alessandro Selli
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 13:24:42 EST

Pedro Larroy wrote:

[....]

I tried changing the wiring, I swapped the ethernet ports the LAN and
ADSL modem where connected to, I swapped the modem with an identical one
from a colleague of mine, I upgraded to kernel 2.4.29 all to no avail.
I then tried the 2.4.28-rc{1,2,3} kernels, and I found the 2.4.28-rc1
not to exhibit the problem, that manifests itself on the 2.4.28-rc{2,3}
kernels.
The problem is sparc-specific, a PC with the very same configuration
(Debian stable, plain vanilla kernels etc.) did not suffer any
connection drops.

I forgot to mention: as I was suggested to do by other people, I changed the settings of the two parameters:

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_default_win_scale

This did not help, though.

I have seen similar problems due to high sequence numbers on the tcp
packets on some adsl routers. Took a while to discover that since the
connection misteriously ceased to work from some boxes after some time
transmitting data ok. Looks like some manufacturers such as efficient
networks adsl routers, doesn't follow the standards.

I'd suggest running tcpdump and doing some observation.

Thank you for your reply, I'll do as you suggested.

--
Alessandro Selli
Tel: 340.839.73.05