Re: BUG: Slowdown on 3000 socket-machines tracked down

From: Ben Greear
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 04:26:07 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
Ben Greear wrote:

Christian Schmid wrote:

Ben Greear wrote:

How many bytes are you sending with each call to write()/sendto() whatever?

I am using sendfile-call every 100 ms per socket with the poll-api. So basically around 40 kb per round.

My application is single-threaded, uses non-blocking IO, and sends/rcvs from/to memory.
It will be a good test of the TCP stack, but will not use the sendfile logic,
nor will it touch the HD.

I think you would have better luck in reproducing this problem if you
did the full sendfile thing.

I think it is becoming disk bound due to page reclaim problems, which
is causing the slowdown.

In that case, writing the network only test would help to confirm the
problem is not a networking one - so not useless by any means.

It's not trivial to write something like this :)

I'll be using something I already have. If I can't reproduce the problem,
then perhaps it is due to sendfile and someone can write a customized
test. The main reason I offered is because people are ignoring the
bug report for the most part and asking for a test case. I may be able
to offer an independent verification of the problem which might convince
someone to write up a dedicated test case...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>